Student Honor Society Wins Eleven Awards
Edgecombe Community College’s student honor society won eleven awards at the recent virtual awards ceremony held by the Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Region.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention scheduled for March 13-15 was cancelled. Instead, a virtual awards ceremony was held March 13.
ECC’s chapter received the following awards:
- Carolinas Regional Honors in Action Project Award
- Carolinas Regional Service Project Award
- Carolinas Super Stars (for noteworthy involvement at a regional level)
- Five-Star Chapter
- Best eNewsletter
- Taylor Redwine – Hall of Honor Certificate
- Taylor Redwine – Distinguished Chapter Member Award
- Hattie Bullock – Alumni Hall of Honor Certificate
- Hattie Bullock – Distinguished Alumni Member Award
- Gloria Whitaker – Alumni Hall of Honor Certificate
- Horizon Award (for advisors) – Tamara Frank-Pourvady
Edgecombe Community College’s honor society has been a Five-Star chapter since 1996 and a Carolinas Super Star chapter since this award was established in 2000. Typically, only about sixteen chapters in the two-state Carolinas Region achieve Five-Star and Super Star designation.
Some decisions and competitions have been delayed until June, and the ECC chapter of Phi Theta Kappa is competing in one additional category.
To be a member of Phi Theta Kappa, students must have completed twelve credit hours in an associate degree program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students must then maintain at least a 3.25 grade point average to remain in the group.