Honor Society Wins Thirteen Awards
Edgecombe Community College’s student honor society won thirteen awards at the recent Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention.
Three students and Advisor Tamara Frank-Pourvady represented ECC’s chapter, Alpha Omega Nu, at the annual convention held March 9-11 in Myrtle Beach, SC. At this conference, chapters and individuals are recognized for their hard work throughout the year.
ECC’s chapter received the following awards:
- Excellence in the Regional Service Project
- Excellence in the Regional Honors in Action Project
- Carolinas Super Stars
- Five-Star Chapter
- Distinguished College Project – Honorable Mention
- Best eNewsletter
- Best Yearbook
- Michael Parker Jr. – Hall of Honor Certificate
- Margaret Nash – Alumni Hall of Honor Certificate
- Michael Parker Jr. – Distinguished Chapter Member
- Hattie Bullock – Distinguished Chapter Officer
- Margaret Nash – Distinguished Chapter Alumni
- Tamara Frank-Pourvady – Horizon Award (for advisors)
Edgecombe Community College’s honor society has been a Five-Star chapter since 1996 and a Carolinas Super Star chapter since this award was established in 2000. Typically, only about sixteen chapters in the two-state Carolinas Region achieve Five-Star and Super Star designation.
To be a member of Phi Theta Kappa, students must have completed twelve credit hours in an associate degree program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students must then maintain at least a 3.25 grade point average to remain in the group.