ECC Honor Society Wins Regional Awards
Edgecombe Community College’s student honor society won 16 awards at the recent Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention.
Three students and Advisor Tamara Frank-Pourvady represented ECC’s chapter, Alpha Omega Nu, at the annual convention held March 11-13 in Columbia, SC. At this conference, chapters and individuals are recognized for their hard work throughout the year.
ECC’s chapter received the following awards:
- Distinguished Chapter Member – Honorable Mention, Peggy Nash
- Alumni Award – Melanie Goff Bradley
- Hall of Honor Certificate – Peggy Nash
- Alumni Hall of Honor Certificate – Melanie Goff Bradley
- Alumni Hall of Honor Certificate – Phyllis Williams
- Horizon Award (for advisors) – Tamara Frank-Pourvady
- Five-Star Chapter
- Carolinas Super Star (for involvement in regional events)
- Excellence in Regional Honors in Action Project
- Excellence in Regional Service Project
- Best in Theme (Category), Honors in Action Project
- Best Honors in Action Project (Overall) – Honorable Mention
- Best College Project – Honorable Mention
- Yearbook Award
- Best eNewsletter Award
- Communication Award
Edgecombe Community College’s honor society has been a Five-Star chapter since 1996 and a Carolinas Super Star chapter since this award was established in 2000. Typically, only about 16 chapters achieve Five-Star and Super Star designation.
To be a member of Phi Theta Kappa, students must have completed 12 credit hours in an associate degree program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students must then maintain at least a 3.25 grade point average to remain in the group.