Professional Tutor—Online (Part-Time)
TIME-LIMITED POSITION THROUGH DECEMBER 30, 2020
DIVISION: DIVISION OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
REPORTS TO: Tutoring Center Coordinator
A part-time position located on either the Rocky Mount, Tarboro Campus, or off-campus. The Professional Online Tutor will provide remote tutoring for individual students and small groups in order to clarify learning problems and to work on study skills. Other academic assistance might include reviewing class material, discussing the text, predicting test questions, formulating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems.
Essential Job Functions
Although each discipline has specific tutoring needs, some basic principles apply to all:
- Meet virtually with students individually or in group sessions either through scheduled or nonscheduled online appointments
- Assess a student’s strengths and weaknesses under guidance from the Tutoring Center Coordinator
- Recognize student success and identify ways for improvement through positive feedback
- Require students to participate actively in online sessions within the guidelines, policies, and procedures endorsed by Edgecombe Community College
- Abide by and enforce policies endorsed by Edgecombe Community College and the Tutoring Center
- Explain, model, and offer academic assistance related to the subject or assignment
- Offer suggestions for effective studying or preparing assignments for courses
- Use resources available through the Tutoring Center and online tutoring
- Complete all required forms and documentation on time and by deadlines
- Follow up with tutees in a timely manner when requested
- Discuss students’ academic issues and/or progress with instructor(s) to increase retention and student success
- Communicate with the Tutoring Center Coordinator regarding issues, concerns, and suggestions
- Attend training sessions and meetings
- Arrive for appointments and scheduled hours on time and as scheduled. If unable to work, the tutor should notify the student and Tutoring Center Coordinator ahead of time or as soon as possible after the related absence
- Maintain confidentiality of all involved in the tutoring experience
- Perform and maintain focused tutoring responsibilities in an active, highly productive online environment that meets the needs of diverse students, faculty, and staff
- Assist in scheduling and proctoring exams
- Document any Edgecombe Community College and/or Tutoring Center policy violations using the appropriate reporting forms and report incidents to the Tutoring Center Coordinator
- Perform other duties as necessary for effective tutoring
Expected Work Hours
Must work 29 hours per week.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited postsecondary institution. Previous experience providing online learning support and/or instruction. Demonstrate expertise in at least one subject of the following disciplines: English, college-level math, Adult Basic Education, biology, chemistry, information technology, psychology, sociology, business, accounting, health science, human services, and criminal justice. Must demonstrate excellent communication skills and have the ability to multitask in an active online setting. Demonstrate commitment to work remotely with professionalism, courtesy, friendliness, consideration, and confidentiality. Ability to use computers and software remotely to support supplemental online instruction, including word processing, email, Internet, and video-conferencing applications such as Google Meet, Zoom, and Cisco WebEx.
Master’s degree in English, math, or adult education from an accredited postsecondary institution. College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certification.
Exhibit excellent communication skills and have the ability to multitask in an active online setting. Demonstrate commitment to work remotely with professionalism, courtesy, friendliness, consideration, and confidentiality. Proficiency with Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and internet research, email, and video-conferencing applications such as Google Meet, Zoom, and Cisco WebEx.
Application Procedure: To be considered for this position, each candidate must submit a completed Edgecombe Community College Application for Employment and photocopies of transcripts, licenses, and certificates to:
Edgecombe Community College
2009 West Wilson St.
Tarboro, NC 27886
Applications may be obtained from the receptionist on campus in either Rocky Mount or Tarboro, mailed on request, or printed from our website.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but will be reviewed as they are received.