Career Coach (Part-time)
This person will be the chief advocate for Edgecombe Community College at the high schools. This person will work closely with the College Liaison and the counselors at the high schools in Edgecombe County Public Schools. The person will be stationed at one of the high schools in the county. The college would like to focus on partnership efforts with ECPS to prepare middle and high school students for college and career readiness. By increasing our partnerships efforts, we would like to better serve students at ECPS by increasing availability for high school students to take college classes. We would also assist the middle schools to introducing the career and college promise to their 8th graders. The goal is for the students in Edgecombe County to be career ready which could mean college ready or work ready.
Essential Job Functions
- Establish the reason you are located in the school.
- Work 20-25 hours a week meeting with students in a group setting or individually to discuss opportunities at Edgecombe Community College. Group settings could include visiting English classes for 10th, 11th and 12th grade classes at least twice a semester.
- Work with high school counselors and administrators to ensure attainment of 30 hours of college credit or ensure completion of pathways by earning certificates.
- Working with high school staff to ensure coordination of high and college schedules that allow access to required coursework.
- Assisting high school counselors with registration of students in postsecondary courses at Edgecombe Community College.
- At least twice a month or once a week, have a person from ECC visit and set up in the cafeteria to highlight a certain program.
- Will assist the college liaison and high school counselors with registration for Edgecombe Community College classes with transcripts, application, and permission slips.
- Coordinate with middle school counselor a visit to speak with 8th graders at registration.
- Help students with their ECC applications, scholarships and financial aid process.
- Test high school students with the asset test if they do not meet the cut scores in PLAN, ACT, PSAT or SAT.
- Keep data to include number of students you meet with, number of classroom visits, number of high school seniors that are potential students in the fall (spreadsheet)?
- Random Sampling-Interview a couple of students taking college classes to find out what challenges they faced and overall experience.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with at least three years of experience in an educational setting.
Minimum requirements plus teaching and/or counseling experience in a secondary and community college educational environment; Career Readiness Credential.
To Apply for This Position: To be considered for this position, each candidate must submit a completed Edgecombe Community College Application for Employment* and copies of transcripts, licenses, and certificates to:
Edgecombe Community College
2009 West Wilson St.
Tarboro, NC 27886
A separate application is required for each job posting. Applications may be obtained from the receptionist on campus in either Rocky Mount or Tarboro, mailed on request, or printed from our website.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but will be reviewed as they are received.