News and Events
Edgecombe Community College’s student honor society won 13 awards at the recent Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention.
The annual convention was held in March. ECC’s chapter, Alpha Omega Nu, received the following awards:
- Five-Star Chapter (highest level a chapter can earn)
- Super Star Chapter
- Excellence in Regional Honors in Action Project
- Excellence in Regional Service Project
- Yearbook Award
- Best eNewsletter Award
- Communication Award
- Hall of Honor Certificate – Kimberly Suggs
- Hall of Honor Certificate – Nina Sinclair
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Award – Nina Sinclair
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Award, Honorable Mention – Phyllis Williams
- Regional Distinguished Administrator Award – Michael Jordan
- Horizon Award – Tamara Frank-Pourvady
Alpha Omega Nu has been a five-star chapter since 1996. ECC’s chapter also has received the Super Star Award every year since the award was created.
Alpha Omega Nu sponsors a number of service projects annually. On April 5, 25 volunteers came to the Tarboro campus to participate in the group’s spring Adopt-A-Highway cleanup. Thirty-one bags of trash, including recyclables, were gathered.
To be a member of Phi Theta Kappa, students must have completed 12 credit hours in an associate degree program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students must then maintain at least a 3.25 grade point average to remain in the group.