Registration for Phlebotomy Training (MLA3022) is by application process. Phlebotomy Training provides theory and clinical experiences needed for the proper collection of blood and other specimens used for diagnostic testing. Emphasis is placed on ethics, legalities, medical terminology, safety and universal precautions, health care delivery systems, patient relations, anatomy and physiology, and specimen collection. Upon completion, students should be able to safely perform procedures necessary for specimen collections on patients in various health care settings and may be eligible for national certification as phlebotomy technicians.
Each class is limited to sixteen (16) students who will be placed in their desired class on first come, first served basis.
Tuition is $195.50. This does not include textbooks, uniforms, criminal background checks, or drug screens when required.
Phlebotomy Training Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) > Applied Math = 3; Locating Information = 4; Reading for Information = 4
- Copy of picture ID (ex. driver’s license) and government issued identification (ex. social security card). First and last names must match on both documents.
- Copy of high school transcript or GED
- Required immunizations (Tdap or adult tetanus less than 10 years; 2-step PPD; 2MMRs; Hepatitis B series started or positive titer; Varicella series or positive titer, and flu vaccine)
- A background check through the vendor contracted with Edgecombe Community College must be completed prior to the third day of class or students will be de-enrolled.
- Drug screens may be required by clinical agencies – guidelines will be discussed during orientation to class.
Coordinator, Health Occupations
Office 223, Biotechnology Building, Rocky Mount Campus
(252) 823-5166, ext. 539