Phlebotomy Training provides theory and clinical experiences needed for the proper collection of blood and other specimens used for diagnostic testing. Emphasis is placed on ethics, legalities, medical terminology, safety, and universal precautions, health care delivery systems, patient relations, anatomy and physiology, and specimen collection. Upon completion, students should be able to safely perform procedures necessary for specimen collections on patients in various health care settings and may be eligible for national certification as phlebotomy technicians.
Registration for Phlebotomy Training is by completed application process. Students who will be registered for their desired class on a first come, first served basis upon completion of course requirements and payment.
Students may register on the Tarboro campus or Rocky Mount campus in the continuing education department. Application and registration should occur prior to the first day of class.
A Career Readiness Certificate is required prior to application. Applications will be reviewed for accuracy and completion and the student will be registered for a class based on availability.
The fee for Phlebotomy is $188.50 (subject to change). This includes tuition and required malpractice insurance. This does not include texts, uniforms, or criminal background check and drug screen expenses. Uniforms will be discussed in class. Background check and drug screen information will be provided at time of registration.
Requirements for the course include:
- Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) with minimum scores as follows:
- Applied Math = 3
- Locating Information = 4
- Reading for Information = 4
- Completed and signed application
- Copy of photo ID (ex. driver’s license)
- Copy of social security card (names on both forms of identification must match)
- High School transcript or GED
- Required immunizations:
- Tdap less than 10 years ago
- 2-step PPD
- 2 MMRs
- Hepatitis B started or positive titer
- Varicella Titer or two varicella vaccines
- Flu vaccine
- Criminal Background Check* by third day of class
- In most instances, a drug screen* will also be required. Drug screen information will be provided within the first month of class.
* Students must use ECC's contracted vendor for background checks and drug screens.
Application and registration is by appointment only with:
(252) 823-5166 x322